Since you and I share ancestors, should we not work together to find and document them? - Carvel Whiting
Whiting-GLOBAL is the world-wide gathering place for collaboration and the sharing of genealogical information related to the Whiting surname.
Our goal is to: 1) Identify, 2) Document, and 3) Link into families everyone in the world with the Whiting surname (including variants) and their descendants, insofar as documents are available. Our initial research efforts are focused on those who were born in England before 1900.
Technology and sharing. Whiting-GLOBAL was formed to take advantage of new collaborative technologies. Instead of working independently, we facilitate working together — rapidly increasing what can be accomplished. And because we have strict documentation standards, this research will not need to be repeated by the next generation. We invite you to join our collaborative effort. Contact us
One-Name Study. Whiting-GLOBAL has registered the Whiting surname as a one-name study with the Guild of One-Name Studies in England (the world’s leading organization for one-name studies). As such, we are the world-wide focal point for information about the Whiting surname. Learn more about one-name studies at: www.one-name.org
How to use this website
Ways to quickly access information about our ancestors:
USE THESE SEARCH TOOLS (or the menus above).
- Alphabetical list. (Select a name from the alphabetical list at the bottom of this page).
- Find by name. (Quick Search: use the search fields in the upper right corner of this page).
- Individual search capability (advanced)
- Surnames (listed by frequency)
- Find families (husband and wife) Find an individual by including the spouse in the search.
- Find by Place (people who lived in a given place) When you have located a place of interest, click on the magnifying glass to the right of the place name to see who lived there.
- Find by Date. (people & events by date)
CONTACT US. Send us an email with questions, comments, corrections, and suggestions. We want to hear from you.
This website contains information on over 43,000 individuals: people with the Whiting surname (or variants) and their direct relatives. This data is divided into the following "trees."
- USA. This is the largest tree (about 32,000 people), and is limited primarily to those in the USA, but with some lines going back to a person's home country. This is referred to as the USA Tree.
- Disclaimer: Much of this data was accumulated from research done over the past several decades and has not yet been fully verified using our current documentation standards.
- England. This is an area of active research (currently over 11,000 people). To facilitate this research it is divided into the following geographic areas, as shown on this map of English counties (shires).
- a. Gloucestershire Tree (Glstr)
- b. Northamptonshire Tree (Nrthn)
- c. Suffolk Tree (Sufflk)
- d. Surrey Tree (Surry)
- d. Yorkshire Tree (York)